Gull Rock Lightkeepers
Grant to Gull Rock Lightkeepers
Constructed in 1867 in Lake Superior, Gull Rock Lighhouse has played an integral role in Great Lakes maritime history and has been the scene of numerous shipwrecks. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, the light station fell into a state of disrepair. With the potential of a roof failure, the Gull Rock Lightkeepers approached the Trust for help in preserving this important building. The Trust was able to make a grant to the organization, allowing for additional funds to be provided in government grants. In a state of disrepair for many years, water was allowed to enter into the building, causing the collapse of the second floor down onto the first floor, which in turn pancaked into the cellar. Work on the roof of the lighthouse was completed in 2008, allowing for interior work on the building to begin.