City and State: Billerica, Massachusetts
Type of district: National Register historic district, Massachusetts State historic district, local historic district
Main Intersection: River Street, Boston Road and Concord Road
The Billerica Town Common District developed around the town common, which was originally set aside by the town’s founders in 1655. The common that survives today as a park is just a small portion of the original common. Although it had originally been the site of the town’s meetinghouse, after the Revolutionary War the common was transformed into a public park. Prosperous residents built houses on the streets surrounding the common and a new town hall was built off the common in 1798. Churches were also built on land bordering the common. The structures surrounding the common date from 1790 to 1900. A variety of 19th century styles, including Federal, Greek Revival, Italianate, and Second Empire, are represented.