Hamilton Park Historic District

Hamilton Park

Hamilton Park

City and State: Jersey City, New Jersey

Listed: 1979, expanded 1982

Type of district: National Register Historic District, New Jersey State Historic District

Major Intersection: West Hamilton Place and Eighth Street

[icon name=icon-download-alt]Hamilton Park National Register Historic District Report and [icon name=icon-download-alt]Hamilton Park National Register Historic District Extension Report

[icon name=icon-download-alt]Hamilton Park National Register Historic District Map and [icon name=icon-download-alt]Hamilton Park National Register Historic District Extension Map


The Hamilton Park Historic District is in the former town of Van Vorst, now Jersey City. Hamilton Park developed around the central park, or square, after the Civil War. The park itself was landscaped in 1851 on land left to the town for that purpose by John B. Coles. It was named after Alexander Hamilton, who died after a duel with Aaron Burr in nearby Weehawken. The surrounding tree-lined streets are filled with Victorian brownstones.