Borough and State: Manhattan, New York
Type of district: National Register historic district, local historic district
Main Streets: King Street and Sixth Avenue
The Charlton-King-Vandam Historic District encompasses the remains of a small district which has, since its beginning, been a distinct and separate neighborhood. The old houses on the streets that comprise the district are all that remain from a city plan conceived and mapped in 1797, but almost completely developed between 1820 and 1829. This small enclave was developed from one large country estate by the great New York real estate operator of the day, John Jacob Astor. Astor purchased the estate of Aaron Burr, leveled off the hill at its center and laid out lots where homes were erected.
On the north side of the district is Vandam Street, where there is an unbroken row of Federal town houses. Almost all retain their original steps, entrances, pitched roofs, dormer windows and iron work. Charlton Street retains what is the longest row of Federal and early Greek Revival houses in the city. King Street, developed later, is close in proximity to the other historic streets in the district and features a juxtaposition of Federal houses, Greek Revival houses, Anglo-Italianate, Roman Revival, and eclectic buildings of the late 19th century.