Borough and State: Queens, New YorkListed: Douglaston Hill local historic district – 2004; Douglaston Hill National Register historic district – 2000; Douglaston National Register historic district – 2005
Type of district: National Register historic district, local historic district
Main Intersection: East Drive and Beverly Road
Containing over six hundred houses on a peninsula extending into Little Neck Bay, the current appearance of Douglaston is primarily a 20th century creation. It is named for the early-20th century planned suburb, Douglas Manor, which had been named for the 19th century estate on the same site. Beginning in 1906, the suburb of Douglas Manor was developed by the Rickert-Finlay Company, which used covenants to control the quality and nature of building in the neighborhood. The houses were designed in styles common to the early-20th century, notably the many popular revivals of the period including Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, and Mediterranean Revival. Arts and Crafts and English cottage examples are found as well. These single-family houses sit on winding roads that follow the topography of the peninsula. Much of landscaping from the 19th century estate survives in the suburb, including specimen trees.