Gramercy Park Historic District

Gramercy Park Historic District

Gramercy Park Historic District

Borough and State: Manhattan, New York

Listed: 1966, extended in 1988

Type of district: National Register historic district, local historic district

Main Streets: East 20th Street and Irving Place

[icon name=icon-download-alt]Gramercy Park LPC Historic District Report

[icon name=icon-download-alt]Gramercy Park LPC Historic District Extension Report

[icon name=icon-download-alt]Gramercy Park LPC Historic District Map


The Gramercy Park Historic District is a residential neighborhood surrounding Gramercy Park, the second and only remaining private park in Manhattan. The Park is used only by owners of lots surrounding the park, each of whom according to the deed may annually rent a key to its gates. The first fence was constructed in 1832 and the first plantings were set in 1844. Most of the surrounding houses were constructed during the 19th century in the Italianate, Greek Revival and Gothic Revival styles. Many of these houses display fine wrought iron decorative work. A number of institutions, including the National Arts Club and the Players Club, also own buildings facing the park.