Borough and State: Manhattan, New York
Type of district: National Register historic district
Main Intersection: East 69th Street and 2nd Avenue
The twelve row houses on the south side of East 69th Street were built from 1879 to 1880. The group was designed for a single developer – James Ray – in two programs by different architects, Jacob Valentine for the eastern group and William R. Smith for the western. Both sets of brownstone row houses were designed in the neo-Grec style, which is characterized by angular forms and incised carving. Built speculatively, these houses were initially occupied by middle-class families.