Borough and State: Manhattan, New YorkListed: 1969, expanded in 1984
Type of district: National Register historic district, local historic district
Main Intersection: East 10th Street and 2nd Avenue
The Saint Mark’s Historic District is located in the East Village on land that was owned by Petrus Stuyvesant in the 18th century. When Stuyvesant Street was laid out in 1787, it ran, as it still does, directly east-west, which is why the street now is offset from the Manhattan grid that is laid out in line with the island’s north-south axis. Two federal houses and the neighborhood’s anchor, St. Mark’s Church, survive from Stuyvesant’s lifetime. He gave the church the land on which it sits and ₤800 toward its construction. The rest of the buildings in the district are primarily mid-19th century, Italianate row houses. These brick row houses with stone cornices, brackets, and door portals give the district its formal, residential character.